Jimmy Doolittle Centerville Missouri Doolittle Missouri

October 11, 1946

In honor of the brave leader of the "Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo" Centerville (west of Rolla on Route 66) was re-named for the leader of the raid, St. Louis oil executive, Jimmy Doolittle. General Doolittle himself was there for the ceremony. 


July 26, 1948

President Harry Truman did away with segregation in the military with executive order 9981, making it a model for the rest of society.


July 24, 1897

Nineteen soldiers from the 25th U.S. Infantry arrived in St. Louis after riding their bicycles from Missoula, Montana. They were trying to prove the increased mobility of infantry using bikes. The Japanese Infantry actually had great success with bikes forty years later in Southeast Asia.


April 27, 1822

Birthday of President, General, and adoptive Missourian Hiram Ulysses Grant (aka Ulysses S. Grant).


March 13, 1861

Nathaniel Lyon took command of the St. Louis Arsenal on this day.


March 7, 1862

The Battle of Pea Ridge at the Missouri-Arkansas border decimated the power of Confederate forces in Missouri.


February 23, 1945

Lieutenant Harold George Schrier, a Missourian, led a group of US Marines up Mount Suribachi and, on this date, planted a flag at her top signaling the great victory at Iwo Jima. Schrier was born at Corder, MO and want to school at Lexington, MO.


Armistice Day 1918

November 11, 1918

Today in Missouri (and world) history is Armistice Day. World War I ended today. Missouri Life proudly salutes the service of our veterans across the country.


The Man Who Killed Quantrill

The residents of Lawrence, Kansas, would never forget what happened on August 21, 1863, if indeed they were lucky enough to survive. The reason for the bloody raid that left nearly two hundred men dead and caused between $1 million and $1.5 million in damage (in 1863 dollars) is still the subject of speculation.


Jefferson Barracks St. Louis

October 23, 1826

The historic military facility at Jefferson Barracks was given its present name.  Previously, it was known as Camp Adams.