By Regan Palmer
1. For what does Truman’s middle initial “S” stand?
2. What Independence building, significant to Truman’s life, is now a bed and breakfast?
3. In which Missouri town was the thirty-third President born?
4. What kind of business did Truman run from 1919 to 1922 at Kansas City?
5. Where did Truman get his famous desk plaque that read, “The Buck Stops Here”?
6. Around how many people visit the Truman Library, located at Independence, each year?
7. What instrument did Truman play as a child, waking at 5 a.m. daily to practice?
8. What exercise did Truman do every morning around the White House that made it hard for reporters and the Secret Service to keep up with him?
9. With which president and royal princess did Truman’s wife, Bess Wallace Truman, share common ancestry?
10. Why did Truman’s mother say she would rather sleep on the floor than sleep in Lincoln’s bed at the White House?
This originally ran in the December 2008 issue of Missouri Life.