Courtesy of James Steakley via Wikicommons
February 2, 1875: Henry Shaw set up an endowment on this date to perpetuate the country garden he had donated to St. Louis. Today, it is known as The Missouri Botanical Gardens. He also donated the land next door, which is now the largest Victorian Park in America—Tower Grove Park.
This post was contributed by Ross Malone. A historian and a retired school teacher, Ross has authored many books about Missouri’s history, weird facts, and folk tales. He has also written children’s historical fiction. Visit his website, and buy his books in the Missouri Life store.