Courtesy of postcardmuseum.wordpress.com
Fort Leonard Wood
December 3, 1940: Ground was broken for Fort Leonard Wood. It was named for General Leonard Wood the following January. The military base still operates today near St. Robert.
This post was contributed by Ross Malone. A historian and a retired school teacher, Ross has authored many books about Missouri’s history, weird facts, and folk tales. He has also written children’s historical fiction. Visit his website, and buy his books in the Missouri Life store.