Courtesy of Olio Restaurant
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 pounds yellow onions, peeled and slivered
- 7 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons homemade mayonnaise, plus more to taste
- White pepper
- Chopped fresh chives, for garnish
- Lemon zest, for garnish
- In a heavy pot, heat oil until shimmery on low heat. Add onions, and cook slowly until soft but not yet beginning to turn color, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes. Cover and chill until firm.
- Cover eggs with cold, salted water in a large uncovered pot. Bring to a rapid boil. Turn off heat, and cover the pot. Wait 10 minutes, then drain. When cool enough to handle, peel the eggs. Cover and chill.
- Weigh equal amounts of egg and onion (there will likely be extra onion for another purpose). Put eggs and onions through the small holes of a meat grinder into a bowl.
- Stir in mayonnaise, just enough to bind the mixture. Season generously with salt and white pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning. Chill until ready to serve.
- To serve Olio-style, mound about 3 tablespoons egg