Courtesy of Wilma’s Real Good Food
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- ¼ pound bacon, chopped
- 1 stick butter
- 24 eggs
- 8 cups Panko bread crumbs
- Boil potatoes in a large pot until soft. Meanwhile, saute bacon until crispy.
- Drain the potatoes. Add the bacon and butter, and mash until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside in refrigerator until cool.
- Using a 1 ½- to 2-ounce disher, scoop potatoes into balls, and place on sheet pans.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl. Dip each potato ball into egg, and then dip into Panko. When all balls have been dipped and dredged, repeat the process.
- After the potatoes are breaded, freeze immediately on sheet pans overnight.
- In a 350º F deep fryer, cook potato balls in batches for 5 to 6 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce or gravy. Frozen potato balls may be stored in zip-top bags for 1 month. Yields 100 balls.