Courtesy of Cravings Restaurant and Bakery
- Zest of two limes
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 pound flaked coconut
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 12 ounces good-quality semisweet or bittersweet chocolate. (Tim prefers 72% cocoa.)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Zest the limes into the coconut. Squeeze the limes to make 2 teaspoons juice.
- Toss the coconut with the cornstarch and salt. Mix the sweetened condensed milk with the lime juice and vanilla; stir into the coconut.
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Line cookie sheets with parchment and butter lightly. Drop generous tablespoons of coconut mixture onto parchment, spacing 2 inches apart. Bake in preheated 350º F oven 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden. Let cool completely. Cookies can be served as is, or can be dipped into chocolate for a more festive presentation.
- For chocolate coating, place the chocolate and oil in a microwave-safe container. Microwave on high power for 1 minute; stir, and return to microwave for 30 seconds (or more) or until the chocolate is completely melted; stir.
- Dip bottoms of cooled cookies in melted chocolate. Place cookies in refrigerator until chocolate is firm. Keep refrigerated or frozen for later use.
Yields 30 to 40 cookies.