Candied Walnut Apple Salad
Courtesy of Fiorella’s Jack Stack Barbecue
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1/2 cup walnut halves
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 cups baby arugula leaves
- 2 granny smith apples, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar and water. Stir to completely dissolve the sugar.
- Cook for about 10 minutes until mixture is golden brown. Remove from heat.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in walnut halves.
- Pour walnuts onto a parchment-lined sheet pan, and spread them out. Allow to cool, about 15 minutes. Chop into small pieces. Set aside.
- Zest half the lemon into a small bowl. Combine all of the lemon’s juice with the lemon zest, and whisk in Dijon mustard and garlic.
- Mix with the remaining ingredients and the walnuts.